Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Camper: Interior Changes

After many late nights and a neglected house, I finished the interior of the camper just in time to use it for Fish Lake.  My husband thought I was a little nuts as he heard the sewing machine begin to hum at 1:00 a.m. (the night before our trip) as he climbed into bed.  
My curtains had to have tie backs.  
For looks and to allow air to flow through the windows during the day.

Even though I still have changes that need to be made, I'm very pleased with the results!
Ready?

                                Before:


After:
I took these pictures after our trip.  Seeing how I hadn't cleaned the dust and dirt off the walls yet and I forgot to remove the hat and fishing pole from under the table. :)
The cushions turned out perfectly!  I wanted to use red vinyl but the upholsterer told me that would not be the best idea.  Vinyl is hot and sweaty and doesn't breathe well.  Wet bums (from swim suits) would cause the cushions to not dry and get moldy.  Yuck.
The red fabric is a material they use for car seats.  It won't fade in the sun, it breathes well and it is easy to clean.  I thought they worked perfectly.  The fabric gives a little because the cushions are tightly squished between the walls.  Doesn't seem that noticeable in person. 
I love the oil cloth table cloth!  It was a purchase from a local fabric store.

                                Before:

                             After:

Kevin was sad to see the hunting motif on the back wall go.  Seems like we have a conflict of interest here.  :)
The upper storage area was great to have on our trip.  We kept tupperware bins of stuff up there.  We could fit Cole up there to sleep.  We have an air pad that fits perfectly there.  
But Cole LOVED sleeping in the tent with Dad. 
The bed is so large when I fold all the cushions down!  We easily could fit the whole family in.  But I think the boys will stick with camping in the tent.  I thought Cole would beg to sleep in the camper but the tent won every night. 
                                 Before:

                             After:
See the floors.  I can't wait to redo those!
I polished all the copper hardware.  My cute little tea kettle worked perfectly for warming hot water for Frankie's bottles.  The blue door is an ice box.  Like a cooler.  Big ice blocks fit in there to keep the temperature cool.  

                                Before:

    After:
Sorry for the poor lighting in some of these.
I ripped out the linoleum that was on the back splash.

I'll eventually need to replace the counter tops.  I'm not a fan of the little nails around the edges.
The trim around the back is in bad condition.  I just had my dad spray paint it anyway until I get to it.  Someday I'll have the back splash run from the counter top all the way up to the cupboards and by the door.  To cover where the linoleum damaged the wall.  


Damage on the wall that will be covered by the backsplash.
I love the look of the curtains without the ties but it covers the cute windows when they hang down.  


                                             Before:
Closet / Porta Potty

                             After:

The Porta Potty is in the garage.  Fish Lake has great flushies.  We'll save the porta potty for those rare trips where we might need one.
I built these shelves the day before we left.  I bought the bins at Ikea.  It is great to just stack up the bins, bring them inside and pack one for each person and then put them back in their assigned shelf.  The kids were in and out of these all weekend.  It was a great place to keep all their "stuff" out of the way.


Yay!  I'm cooking in my new kitchen!  That was a lot of fun!  

I made a Yummy Corn and Black Bean Salsa for our Sunday picnic in Fruita (Capital Reef).

You must try this recipe!  It's delish!

3 Large Tomatoes Diced
3-4 chopped green onions
1 Avocado Diced
1 Can of Corn drained
1 Can of Black Beans 
1 Pkg. of dry Italian dressing, prepared as directed.

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and then pour prepared Italian dressing over.  This salsa tastes better when it has been refrigerated for several hours.  

Enjoy with your favorite chips!  


I have been sooo tired!  Two weeks of  really late nights working on the camper, our renter of 2 years moved out of our basement 3 days before we left (permanently, Yay), basement apartment and post vacation cleaning, playing with family who is visiting from out of town and the 4th of July celebration.  It finally all caught up with me!  All this fun,  I am wiped out!



20 comments:

emily said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Amy, you are simply amazing. I just adore everything you did - it looks. . . perfect. You make me want to live in it. :) I'm so impressed, really.

Jill said...

Amy, I love it! You look adorable, too! I am loving the bin- idea for each kid. Genius!!! I can't wait for you to get the floors in!!

Kate said...

It was the cutest trailer on the whole mountain! Thanks for giving us the tour...we had so much fun with everyone, It's just not the same without you!

Alissa and Brandon Owen Family said...

This is the most amazing thing! I want more pictures! You should be given some award for your creativity and ability to convert stuff. I wish you did this professionaly. I love everything you do!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

It is so adorable! I am loving the transformation! Great job Amy!

sue chappell said...

Your kids had a ball playing inside that little house - you make it look so easy, but I know it was a lot of hard work!!!
MOM

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Looking great! I appreciate that you showed the imperfect backsplash - it's nice to know that reality happens & not every single thing is suddenly perfect the day after you bought the trailer. Love the Ikea bins for the closet, too. Colorful, inexpensive, & the perfect size.

Jessica F. said...

You're AMAZING!

s g said...

I am exhausted just reading about it all...you are AMAZING and the camper looks adorable. Love all your hard work Amy :)

Park Family said...

WOW big changes, love it!

JEllen said...

WOW! What a great job. I love everything you did. So cute and functional. We also love your blog. Sarah and I just spent almost an hour reading so much of it. Your family is adorable and what a handsome little guy Frankie is!!!

Polly said...

Amy! Darling! I love it you did a great job!
I make a salsa pretty similar to that one and sprinkle feta on top..... Try it :)

Kyla Armstrong said...

This is fantastic. You have done a fabulous job. You're ready to become a Traveller :)

suzi said...

You are so cute and creative! I'm very impressed. You have definitely pulled a 180 on that cute little camper! WAY TO GO! I gotta see it in person!

devron said...

You DO make it look so easy and I know it is not! You are an amazing mother and homemaker. Thank you for inspiring the rest of us! Love and miss you, Devron

Kim @ The Simpson Six said...

It is FABULOUS! What a great space for your family - you will make some great memories in that tiny little camper!

Brooke said...

Your camper is too CUTE! Great job.

Anneliese said...

TOO FABULOUS!! I love it. Makes me want a camper--maybe we'd start camping?

Stephanie Amos said...

Oh my gosh! I absolutely LOVE all the work you've done! My husband and I are restoring an old camper. We have one bench and a closet to go. I can hardly wait to start the interior decorating! =)

Unknown said...

I found this via Pinterest. I've been looking at RV's on Craigslist all day. I think it's so cool what you did to your little camper! I don't feel like you need to add much more - it's very shabby-chic. But I agree, I don't like the floor very much either. Anyway, you are amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails