I don't know where to start, or how to begin. And I'm not a good writer either.
But here I go.
But here I go.
4 weeks ago, we had our ultrasound.
It's a boy! Just like I've known from the very beginning.
During the ultrasound there were 3 things that didn't seem "normal".
During the ultrasound there were 3 things that didn't seem "normal".
A little extra fluid in the brain
Opening and Closing of the hands
A subtle heart problem
I had an amniocentesis{a test which produces 99.4 % accurate results}to determine if our child had any chromosomal abnormalities. We were very shocked, surprised and heartbroken that something could be wrong.
After waiting 7 days for the results, the phone call came on February 16th.
Our unborn child tested positive for
Trisomy 21. Down syndrome.
The weight of the news was devastating. So many thoughts and emotions. How could my body have failed at creating this life inside me?
The scripture for this years Young Women theme kept running through my mind..."Be strong and of a good courage. Be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9
And the song we had prepared to sing for our Young Women New Beginnings..."at all times, in all things, in all places, we will be strong and courageous"
I kept telling myself, 'be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, the Lord is with me.'
This scripture gives me much strength.
I know the Lord has a plan for each of us. He knows me and loves me. This is our plan.
It was hard to accept that. Really hard.
But through lots of prayer, I am at peace knowing that the Lords hand is involved in this. Through him, I can be strong and courageous.
My doctor reassured me that this is nothing Kevin or I did to make this happen. It occurred at conception. A "molecular accident", as they refer to it.
I know this is the Lord's plan for us. And I have faith in his plan. Faith that this is God's will. Faith in what will be, will be.
And now after that painful process of grieving the loss of a normal life for our child, I feel at peace. It is faith and trust in the Lord that gives me this peace. I am SO grateful to have the knowledge before he arrives that he has Down syndrome. So I can be ready to love him as he is. Prepared to start this journey with an open heart and open arms.
People with Down syndrome can be so loving and sweet. I am humbled at the thought of what his sweet spirit will add to our family. He will bring pure love and joy to our home. The example he'll be to my other children of a Christ like love. I know he will bond us in many special ways.
I'm in a happy place now. A place of acceptance. Yes, I know that we have many days ahead of us that will bring us ups and downs. And that's okay. We will deal with those as they come. With our great support of family and friends who love us.
In learning many things about Down syndrome, some things have been very eye opening for me. I'm 31.
80% of babies with Down syndrome are born to mothers under the age of 35.
And the average maternal age is 28.
Who knew? I've always thought of women in their 40's having babies with Down syndrome. I guess it's just because their odds are higher.
I can't help but to feel grateful for the 3 beautiful healthy children I already have.
Life is precious. Children are precious. Sometimes I feel as if I can't consume the joy of them enough.
So what now?
This will be like a regular pregnancy. A few more tests and ultrasounds until he arrives.
His true condition can't really be determined until he is here. Depending on his health and reaching milestones, growing, and developing will help us know how high functioning he will be. Hopefully with early intervention, he can be higher functioning. But we'll have to wait and see. Each person with Down syndrome is so different.
I don't think I have ever written this much on my blog. But it needed to be done. For me. His little life will be documented here. He will be apart of us in every way. I can't wait to meet and get to know this special spirit that is coming to our home. I already feel so much love for him.
We have had so much heartfelt support from family and friends. It has been so nice. Emails, phone calls and flowers. Those things really helped carry us through that grieving process. So thoughtful.
What great examples they have been to me of service.
Thank You for all your support and prayers.





27 comments:
Hope you know i'm going to be his favorite.
I admire your faith. I have been a follower of your blog for a very long time. I love your blog. I know that Heavenly Father needed to send him to the perfect home and he is. I look forward to sharing this journey with you. I will keep you in my prayers.
amy - it is another testament of the amazing mother you are - and will be to your 4th babe. Heavenly Father knows you, your husband, and your sweet kids and knew that you all would be able to handle this perfectly. but you already know all this. . . :)
i am sure it will be so hard on some days. but i'm already amazed at your faith and positive attitude. i am sure you will make this new babe a blessing in your home and elsewhere.
Amy, I follow a blog that I think would be something great for you to read, it is a blog of a mother of 2 girls, her youngest whom was born with down syndrome, she didn't know before hand. She is a beautiful person, just like you.
http://www.kellehampton.com/
I cried, I admire your strength and your faith. God chooses us to parent his children, and god choose you for this little boy. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Oh, Amy. I feel you. I'm the mother of a special boy, too. He does not have a diagnosis. Reading this post brought me back to those days 4 years ago, when we found out that his brain was abnormal. Wyatt is in a wheelchair and does not talk. He is "severe." I hate that word and prefer to use "special." And I hope you believe me when I say.....Congratulations! You are having a boy - a special boy - and it is going to be such a TREAT to raise him!!!!!
You MUST read this story:
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html
This amazing photog/blogger just had a baby with D.S. and she didn't know prior. It is a great birth story.
Love your optimism. Keep celebrating every little thing with your family. You celebrate so well!!! There are awesome groups out there. And locally! I'm in Ut, too. Having knowledge of the PLAN brings much comfort.
love, Bree
A beautiful little boy to bless your family will be wonderful. And he lucky for you and your family that he will be amazing. And how lucky for him that a family who already knows how precious he is, and wants him so much. You are such an amazing family.....thankyou for sharing your story with us all xx
I have been following your blog now for a year and half at least, My thoughts go out to you and you family, when you have the most wonderful but also frighting time happing all at once , I do believe that god only gives special babies to special people and you and your wonderful family have been chosen because god knows that you will love and look after you wonderful little boy and you will get through the hard times and see all the wonderful times ahead. Please don’t feel to frighten I don’t have a downs child but have many friends that do and have been brought up knowing lots of downs children, and yes they need a little more time but they give a lot of love and affection and your new sons very luck to be born into a wonderful family with wonderful sisters and a brother to help look after him. I look forward to sharing all his and the rest of your family life and achievements on your blog. Emma xxx
i am praying for you and your family.
amy, our hearts and thoughts are with you. I can't imagine the roller coaster of emotions your family has been through, but I am strengthened by your genuine faith. what a blessed baby to come into such an incredible family. I love your blog and can hardly wait to hear your continuing adventures.
Hi Amy...I was just heartbroken this morning when I started reading this post. Ive havent been to church these past few weeks due to our crazy move but I have thought about you a couple of times having no idea what you have been going through. After reading the whole post I am so happy that you are in a better place about it and realize just how special this little boy is going to be in your home. I wish you and Kevin all the best during the pregnancy and afterward and cant wait to see the little guy....I think Heavenly Father chose you and Kevin to take care of this special one....you are such amazing people and wonderful parents. Let me know if you need anything :)
i have a cousin with downs. my aunt didnt know beforehand.
congrats on your new blessing.
over from nikki's blog, are we there yet.
You as I have said before are so precious! You really do have such a beautiful outlook on this time in your life. You will be the perfect mother for this special little spirit! Just last Sunday was our Stake Conf. and this family was in front of me with their, I believe, 10 children. Their youngest child, a boy, has Down Syndrome but let me just tell you I could have picked up this little cutie and taken him home with me!! He is beautiful! Blonde hair, blue eyes and the biggest dimples you have ever seen!! He was just adorable and I know your little one is going to be just precious! They are the most loving people and always have smiles on their sweet faces! I love that! I wish the best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy! Glad we can all connect on these blogs!! Take care and know my thoughts are with you!
Tiffany
Amy, I just finished reading your beautiful blog and I also looked up kellehamptons blog and read her experience. This experience has filled my heart. I have had friends that have raised DS children and every one of them, "everyone" has said that they would never change it for the world! I don't feel like anyone needs to convince you of that....you have such a strong faith and so much love to give! This child will be so blessed! You have such a great strength in your family, and extended family that will be such a blessing also. Tony and I come up to Utah often and we can't wait to meet this neww little guy that has gotten everyone buzzing!! He will be able to touch so many peoples lives! I can't think of a more deserving and wonderful family than yours and Kevins to welcome this sweet little spirit into your home and family. Heavenly Father must know how choice you and Kevin are and I feel so blessed that you are my friend. Our prayers are for you that all goes well with the rest of your pregnancy as you await this sweet little spirit into your home.....Love you!
Oh Amy, your family will be truly blessed with this sweet baby boy coming to your family. Our Heavenly Father chose such a wonderful person to be his mom. My love and prayers will be with you as you prepare for his arrival.
Our next door neighbors have a little boy our Aiden's same age with Downs. He his so cute, we all just love him.
I know that you don't know me, but I keep up with your blog because of all of your creative crafts and sewing projects. I am a Christian as well and admire your strong faith in God. My heart goes out to you and your family but your new little one is getting such a loving family and he is very fortunate to have all of you as his family. You, your little one and your family is in my prayers.
Amy, you are a beautiful mother and such a beautiful example to the rest of us. This is mean to be and your little boy is so lucky to be coming to your family.
You are such an amazing person and a great example to many. Thanks for sharing your faith and will to be strong despite this surprise.
I have read your blog for a while now and never commented until now. Thank you so much for sharing I know how hard this must be for you and your family. I will keep you all in my prayers. My oldest child was born with a blood disorder that we found through an amnio, I know exactly what you went through. He is now in kindergarten about to be six, everyday he is a reminder of God's will and a testiment to each one of us. God bless you in this journey.
I love you Amy. You 're family is in our thoughts and prayers everyday!! You come from a long line of amazing women, and I know you are one of the greatest!! Thanks for your example to us!!
Amy, you are so strong. You and Kevin continue to be in my thoughts and prayers
I don't know if you have read this book yet, but it is called The year my son and I were born. Wonderful!
Also, here is a wonderful birth story:
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html
Amy,
What a lucky little boy to come to your family. All will be well. HF knows you and the love you will give to this little boy. I would love to talk to you. One of my best friends has a little boy with Downs and he is the greatest! He haschanged her life for the better.
Let's connect...Kathryn Creer
Hi! You don't know me, but I love reading your cute blog! My dad's Uncle has Downs and at 69 he is everyone's favorite! You are an AWESOME person to get to be able to raise one of the kings of heaven! Your family must be really special to be chosen to get him!
You said it so well, thank you for being such a courageous woman! You are a great example! I don't think there are any "accidents", and he will be lucky to be in your family!
I was reading your blog, and thought that this blog would help...
http://www.kellehampton.com/
Please read her babies story, it is inspirational!
Sometimes special children are given to very special people!
I love your post. I have an 11 month old with DS. We didn't find out until he was born. and I am young only 23 when he was born. Life without him would be hard to imagine. It's more work for me and our family but i wouldn't have it any other way. At first I didn't even know what down Syndrome was now I have read a lot of books we go to therapy 3 times a week and life is great. He is just like any other Typically child. He has actually done everything on time. so to say! Be brave and know that everything will be alright. I was very scared at frist not knowing anything about this new road we were about to travel. Since the beginning I have always said God doesn't make Mistake and you must be a wonderful caring mother to your other child to be chosen by God to be a mother to a child with Down syndrome. Take care Love Liz!
I am the lucky Mama of 3 girls, one of them "special".
What a TREAT you and your family are in for!! These kids bring blessings you would NEVER have known otherwise. The challenges are numerous, but the *JOY* more than makes up for them!
If you want the name of some great books that have helped me along the way, e mail me!!
I will be praying for you, your family and this new little gift.
Post a Comment