Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Frankie's Hand

Frankie has a new pinkie!

After he had his surgery, he had to wear a soft cast for three weeks.

He did pretty well with the cast on.

Since his little thumb was poking out of the cast, he was able to use it quite a bit.  

He'd love to chew on that little thumb. 

One of Frankie's favorite things to do is to stick his arm in the side crack of his high chair (above) when it's in recline mode.  Every time I move it out of there he just puts it right back in.  I have to shove a towel or bib there so he won't do that.  Because if I don't catch him, his fingers will turn purple from lack of circulation.  For what ever reason, he loves it.  

I traced Frankie's hand before they took him back to surgery.

Here is the silhouette before...
I should have had a plaster mold made.  I loved his little hand!  I will forever miss it.


Brace yourself, here is his hand after... 


A puffy little pinkie.  It looked so painful at first.
I was told to gently wash his hand with soap daily to help the stitches fall out.
I was not a fan of that.  I was so afraid to touch it.


I couldn't get over how I was supposed to just let it be exposed like that and go home.  Unprotected.
But he did fine!  I could tell he was a little sore at first but Motrin helped.


Here he is today.  10 weeks later.  


We go in for a visit in a couple of weeks to see how things are coming along.
The Doctor is not sure if she wants to separate the other two.  
Frankie is missing the middle segment on all his right hand fingers.  Typical fingers have three segments (bones), Frankie has two.  She thinks because of that and how skinny they are, they would be better together.
We'll see.  Kevin's vote is to get them separated.  I'm undecided. 

It's crazy to me that it looks like a full normal finger!  It's amazing what can be done!
  
I can't get over how much hair has come in on him.
A big difference from the top pics taken in July, 
to these that I took today.

He still has a bit of scaring to heal.  
We try to put Vitamin E oil on it to help it along.

As you can tell, he is a real good sitter now.  He is all over the place too!




6 comments:

Kpark said...

Too cute, and some good looking fingers. Glad everything is healing so well. By the way love his crab shirt where did you get it.

Jill said...

He is adorable! Am so glad his fingers are healing, too!! Love him!!

chantel said...

Oh I love that little boy

Ms. Orange said...

My daughter was born with a very similar hand. She only had one segment, disconnected for those middle 2 fingers. At a year old we had them removed and now she has the "I Love you" fingers. SHe's 9 now and is doing great!!!

Your little boy is adorable!!

Kristin said...

I am always amazed at modern medicine!

Bre said...

You are such a brave mama! I guess it helps to have such a darling little boy! I bet you spend lots of time kissing those chubby cheeks!

So glad to hear everything went well with his hand - and seriously, can a baby get any cuter?

Related Posts with Thumbnails