In our family, when we explain things to our kids, we tend to refer to Frankie as special.
Somehow it has stuck. I think it was here when it all began.
Anyway, this little girl Sadie is sure hung up over this whole "special" thing.
While she was playing with Frankie one afternoon, she was delighted in the fun she was having with him.
As they were playing patty cake with each other she giggled with joy and said,
"I'm so glad at least somebody is special in our family."
I could hardly contain myself. :) Where does she come up with these things?
She seems to be confused as to what special means. Wondering if she is "special" too.
So we had a talk with her and explained that when we say someone is special, it means that they need extra help. The term "special" is short for special needs.
She seemed to understand.
We have quite the amazing Polly Pocket collection. My aunt Jeanine passed on to us hundreds of Polly Pocket pieces that her girls had.
We've gotten hours of entertainment from them!
The other day while Sadie was playing Polly Pockets she said,
"Hey Mom, I figured out how to play with my broken Polly Pockets."
"They are all special: Snow White was born without an arm; The boy was born with some blue skin; Cinderella is bald-but we can put a wig on her; and my Squinky pony was born with only one eye."
She wasn't even kidding. She plays with them just like she would with the other Polly Pockets.
Dresses them and everything.
It is amazing to watch the invaluable lesson she is learning here by having Frankie as a brother.
I am so grateful that my kids have the opportunity to be apart of the experience of having a sibling with special needs. What will Frankie teach us in his lifetime?
Many great things, I'm sure of it!







5 comments:
I have to be careful with that whole "special" thing too. Piper often feels she is not as special as Max because he needs my attention more. She often says she wishes she was sick so she could have all my attention for the day. I make it a point to have special mother/daughter time/outings, but sometimes I have to remember the "other" kind of special that she is :)
P.S. I know that wasn't the point of this post... haha... kind of went off on a tangent. Sorry. Love that Sadie sees the 'special' in her toys!
LOVE this. We're adopting a special child with Down syndrome and I hope every day that my boys will learn what Sadie already has. Good job mama.
Kim @ thesimpsonsix.blogspot.com
That is the cutest thing! Sadie is adorable! I love all the neat lessons that our kids get to learn by having a sibling with special needs. After the Buddy Walk, Elle and Easton kept telling Jayne "thank you" for the fun carnival they got to go to. So funny! We need to get together soon!
That is so sweet.
Post a Comment