October is National Down syndrome awareness month.
A lot of bloggers have been posting everyday to spread awareness. I'm not on top of it as some. But I would like to share a few of my thoughts (hopefully this week) and things I have seen posted.
At the age of 31, I found out that Frankie had Down syndrome at my 20 week ultrasound.
Receiving the news was really hard. A time I will never forget. Every time I reflect upon the details of those days and the emotions that I felt, it can still bring me to tears.
It was hard to adjust my expectations to something different...a little detour.
“Having a child with Down syndrome is like taking the scenic route. You still get where you are going. It may take a little longer, but it will be well worth the trip!”
A small percentage of mothers find out their child has Down syndrome before the baby is born.
For me, I feel really blessed to have known before Frankie was born, so I could go through the process of grieving before he was placed in my arms.
By the time Frankie was here, I was SO excited to meet him and SO ready to love him as he was. I was so excited to start my journey with my little angel and finally meeting him was an absolute joy!
What Causes Down syndrome?
Down syndrome is usually caused by an error in cell division called nondisjunction. It is not known why this occurs. However, it is known that the error occurs at conception and is not related to anything the mother did during pregnancy. It has been known for some time that the incidience of Down syndrome increases with advancing maternal age. However, 80% of children with Down syndrome are born to women under 35 years of age.
30%-50% of individuals with Down syndrome have heart defects.
Most of these defects are correctable by surgery. Thankfully, Frankie's heart was heathy and normal!
Loving this little guy has been SO easy! I love the dynamic he adds to our family and I wouldn't trade him for anything! His slower growth development has been so enjoyable.
I get to bottle up each stage just a little longer. He is just what I needed.
I know Frankie is here for me. He is here to teach me.
I'm not a perfect person who is perfect to raise a child with Down syndrome.
I found this quote which describes exactly what I am trying to say.
"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't TAKE a special family, it MAKES a special family."
Our family feels special because of him. Oh how we love him!
Recently Frankie has learned how to clap.
And it was all caught on video!
It is so cute to watch his excitement as he claps. He is so pleased with himself.
He has all sorts of facial expressions as he claps. It's so cute!
One Sunday while we were all at my parents home, we sat Frankie in the center of the table and tried to get him to play patty cake. He learned really quick that if he'd clap, we'd cheer.
We could have done it for hours!
It was so cute to watch him!!
And this is when he learned to clap. Can you tell how much we all love him!







9 comments:
Oh my lovey boy. He is the cutest!
I was just thinking about you and saw your FB link to this. He is so ADORABLE! His smile reminds me of Tess's right now: a bit snaggletooth! So cute. I love this last quote too...
The most adorable post! I have been following your blog since before you were expecting Frankie. I LOVE it when I see you have written a new post.
Yeah Frankie!
He is just eatin' up that attention. So cute.
he is one of the most adorable little boys i've seen. way too cute.
i've been so amazed and impressed with you and your wonderful family - frankie is so lucky to have you all; just as you are all so lucky to have him. it works out. . . perfectly.
SO adorable Amy! I love this video so much!!! We're so lucky to have him as part of our family.
He is so so sweet. I too have loved reading your posts about Frankie, and the blessing he has been in your family.
What an awesome video! Our 6 children & I were all crowded around the computer oohing & aahing right along with your family...what a precious little boy Frankie is & how blessed he is by such love from his family!
When my father was growing up (before the days of children with special needs being institutionalized or “eliminated” by prenatal testing)...he was taught that when you were in the presence of such a child (or adult), you would make the Sign of the Cross because it was presumed that this individual was without (personal) sin, blessed in a special way, & nearer to God than the rest of us. I think that is beautiful.
Amy he is such an adorable little guy. I love reading your posts about him. Your quote about making strong families brought me to tears. I loved it! You are a darling mom and your blog is so much fun to read with so many motivational posts! Love ya sis!
Post a Comment