First off, I want to thank all you kind readers and friends for offering some great advice and support on my last post. You are the best!!
Things are going much better and I will keep you posted on the outcome. I'm more emotionally prepared this time. ;)
Since starting my new diet of No sugar, No dairy, No yeast, I have discovered some new and healthy ways to cook and eat. One of my new favorites was introduced to me from my neighbor friend Kathryn, who is always so kind to share her delicious healthy dishes.
Quinoa
pronounced keen-wah
I felt like I was speaking a different language when I would say Quinoa.
It has been so fascinating to learn about Quinoa. It is a grain (well not really but it is most grain like) from a plant in South America. It's high in amino acids, a great source of fiber and complex carbs and packed with protein.
I like to relate it to couscous or "rice balls" as my kids like to call it. Which we LOVE. It's soft, fluffy and can be added as a side dish, in place of other grains or mixed together with salads or rice, it seems to have endless possibilities. You can buy it at most grocery stores. I bought a big bag from Costco.
Here is my favorite recipe using quinoa.
Corn and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar ( I don't add sugar in mine)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
Wash quinoa in 3 changes of cold water in a bowl, draining in a sieve each time.
Cook as directed on package.
Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.
This is so yummy! I make it at the start of the week and it is great for lunch or a side dish to dinner.
I even saw a recipe for a quinoa salad using mango's.
Yum.
Have you ever cooked with quinoa? What's your favorite recipe?
Have you ever cooked with quinoa? What's your favorite recipe?





6 comments:
I've never tried it but my friend who is a super healthy eater JUST posted this reecipe on her blog.
http://goodrealfood.blogspot.com/2010/11/mediterranean-quinoa.html
I'm inspired to try both of your recipes now.
LOL! I'm the friend that Heather just talked about. She sent me your link. This looks so good! I'm definitely trying it. Thanks!
I made this tonight. The only thing I did differently was used chicken broth to cook the quinoa. It was good. Thanks for posting.
I LOVE this mandarin quinoa recipe from picky palate. I haven't tried the corn one yet, but I'm sure it's delicious!
http://picky-palate.com/2010/06/17/summertime-quinoa-salads/
Amy- Monica swears by this stuff - this is all she eats and has lotst alot of weight. SHe substitutes it for potatoes,s rice etc. Yes, I've had it many times and really like it. I will make this salda too!
I have a giant bag of quinoa and haven't used it much--I'll have to try this! thanks.
Post a Comment