Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nursing Woes and possibly TMI

Back in early August I got Mastitis (a breast infection), which I've had with each baby.  Unfortunately, the antibiotics lead me to a very painful yeast infection, other wise known as Candida, in my milk ducts.  I've had this infection for 15 weeks now and I'm at the end of my rope. 

I've tried light therapy, difluccan, grapefruit seed extract, probiotics, Newmans ointment, Gentian Violet (all safe for breastfeeding) and the latest, my diet.
The question I often get is, "How do you stick with it?"  To be honest, the pain hasn't been too bad.  Being on the meds and treatment takes the edge off and it's tolerable.  I've gone through waves of times when I had to bite on a towel while nursing. 

I'm not against bottle feeding at all.  I just hate the idea that this choice is being made for me.  I'm so close to just throwing in the towel.  He's almost 6 months old.  The only thing that keeps me hanging on is that every time Frankie nurses it is like a mini physical therapy session on his mouth and jaw; strengthening his muscle tone for speech development.  Also for his immune system, with winter coming and all.  Babies with Down syndrome are prone to ear infections and sinus infections.  My doctor told me, "Frankie will have tubes in his ears."  Like I don't have a choice.  
Nursing him through the winter could be beneficial to his health.  

Before Halloween I went off sugar and yeast and was starting to feel like I was beating the infection.  I allowed myself to indulge just on Halloween.  Ever since, I've had a huge set back (darn that sugar). Major pain.  Not during nursing but after.  Sharp, shooting, burning fire pain in my breast.

Recently my doctor has been trying to wean me from the diflucan because I've been on it so long.  But on the fourth day without diflucan it came back with full force.  

I found myself at Whole Foods yesterday with 3 of my kids desperately looking for more meds (I was out of probiotics and off diflucan).  The pain was unbearable.  And after the Whole Foods employee told me that he couldn't tell me if the particular yeast cleanse was safe for breastfeeding (he said he knew the answer but he just isn't legally allowed to prescribe) I broke down right then and there.  I wasn't asking for a prescription.  I tried to hold back the tears.  But they kept rolling off my checks as each sharp stabbing pain attacked my breast.  The pain took my breath.  I couldn't even speak clearly. 

I dashed out of the store with the kids in tow and lost it the second I reached the car.  I speed dialed my APRN and pleaded (sobbed) for any help she might have.  I was not prepared emotionally to stop breast feeding right then and there.  I have found that medical practitioners know very little about how to treat an infection like this.  So disappointing.  

We came up with a plan.  Giving me two more weeks of diflucan while frankie is being treated with the same meds so we don't past it back and forth (which I think we have) and stick to my new diet of No sugar (not even fruit),  No yeast,  No diary.  To starve the yeast infection and pretty much starve myself.  Just kidding.  It is a limited diet but my cupboards and fridge are stocked full of the things I can eat.

After my emotional breakdown yesterday,  I'm near ready to quit.  As much as I don't want to, I just don't have any other option.  It just makes me so sad that I can't continue nursing.  I know that this is my last baby and emotionally I'm just not ready to move on yet.  It's a sign of growing up.  Also, how am I going to stop nursing when I have a full feeding schedule and milk supply?  So discouraging.

The bright side now is I have two more weeks to give it one last go.  Hopefully within that time I can prepare myself to let it go or by some miracle, get rid of it.

But all I really want to do is enjoy these moments with my sweet little boy.  He's calm, snugly, sweet, warm and adorable in every possible way.   Can't time just stand still?










21 comments:

kastelers said...

Amy, I admire you! While nowhere NEAR what you've been through, I had such bad nursing woes with my first 2 that I didn't even give it a go with my 3rd. I just formula fed. Then she got RSV and I felt GUILTY and sometimes regret it. She was also my last baby and over the last 3 years as we moved on from the "baby phase", I've found myself crying about "letting go" several times. Sometimes it feels like no one understands how I can be "done" and sad too. But I am. Thinking of you. Wishing you the best because people don't really talk about how much the nursing issues can change your entire life!

Alecia Williams said...

Amy! I am so sorry to hear this. I got that same infection with my last two kids and it is impossible to describe how violent and painful it is and not to mention, emotionally exhausting.

My doctor prescribed me an oral pill like Monistat and it cleared it up in 2 days. The medicine gets in your milk and will clear it up for Frankie as well.

I am sure you have tried that, but it was the only thing that worked. Also, have you tried applying monistat cream after you nurse?

Good luck. Hang in there girl!!!

heather said...

I've had problems with yeast and breast feeding. the first time I was ready to quit because I didn't know that was why it was so painful when I was nursing. I didn't understand from your post if your yeast is internal or actually on the nipple (hate that word!:) But I found the best solution for me was to put nystatin cream on my breast prior to nursing and then give the baby their medicine once they finished nursing (because you definitely are giving it back and forth to each other). It started to feel better within 24-48 hours. Good luck! Don't let yeast force you out of breastfeeding.

Kristin said...

Good luck. I was a wreck after giving birth to Piper (back in the ER when she was 4 days old - why we adopted Max)... anyway, for my sanity, I gave up breastfeeding after a week. More power to ya!!

Lewis' said...

Why does nursing have to be so hard? I nursed Molly for 11 months (absolutely loved it) but only 8 weeks with Lucy. It was so hard to make the decision to stop nursing Lucy. I remember feeling so guilty. I have those moments all the time about feeling so bad for not trying harder. Just last night right after Becky had her baby... Yes, she had her at 12:19am... I was totally jealous that her baby just latched right on. But if you do make the decision to stop, don't beat yourself up for it. You are an amazing mom! He looks like he is doing great and you've done it for 6 months, which is awesome! Nursing has just made me totally respect women more and everything we go through. It's not enough what our body goes through- and then have to deal with nursing... Wow! Good luck!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, you are awesome. You better be giving yourself SO much credit for trudging on in the midst of all that pain! I hope you find a solution in the next couple weeks, and if you don't you will know that you tried everything under the sun, and gave it your best.
I love his shiny eyes!

Maine Baby Treats said...

Amy-

You are amazing. What dedication you have. I have 2 daughters who I also nursed 100% of the time and know how hard it is knowing the last baby will be your last and "giving it up".

I have never had problems with yeast but ran into another mom at the pharmacy a few days ago who was just telling me she has had the same thing for 3 months. Her little guy is 5 months old and she is also about to quit.

Hang in there and do what is best for you. You do not want to be stressed while nursing, that is no fun.

Go warrior MOM!

Maine Baby Treats said...

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/yeast.shtml


This website seems informational. Maybe there is a treatment on here you have not tried yet.

Amber said...

i have had nursing woes as well. i hope you find the answer. i would hate to give it up... i'm nursing now typing left handed...can you tell? but my comment is on your "last kid" i am so sad. i was hoping you'd have a dozen so i can keep reading your cute blog for a really long time. plus, you are such a good mom... more special spirits would flourish in your home.

Amber said...

i have had nursing woes as well. i hope you find the answer. i would hate to give it up... i'm nursing now typing left handed...can you tell? but my comment is on your "last kid" i am so sad. i was hoping you'd have a dozen so i can keep reading your cute blog for a really long time. plus, you are such a good mom... more special spirits would flourish in your home.

Tausha said...

Oh how I remember nursing Sam. He latched okay but with a metal plate and 6 screws in my neck I was in so much pain!! Also, I got Mastitis as well. My Mom told me...The baby might thrive with breast feeding but the Mother dies. I felt like I was so I stopped and Sam has been just fine. He is on his second set of tubes at 2 years so call me if you have any questions on that one.

Anneliese said...

So sorry to hear about the nursing woes! Amazing you are sticking it out. I really hope you find a fix soon or a peaceful way to make a switch.

Sara Fiedler said...

Hi Amy, what a tale of woe. Having had my share of yeast infections, my heart goes out to you. What finally helped me Classical Homeopathy!. In my opinion, the BEST alternative treatment around. You may want to try it and you won't have to stop nursing. With much love, Sara

MIMI n' LINCOLN RULE!! said...

amy, best of luck to you. i can't even imagine how hard this must be especially since you love nursing frankie and understand the benefit for him. we will pray for you that everything will work out for the best!

s g said...

Amy...so so sorry!! I hope you hang in there and it works for you, its amazing all our boobs go through. Sounds like you have done everything possible...I would ask for a blessing from Kevin...if you haven't already. Best of luck to you!! You are an incredible mom!!

The Nowels said...

Amy,

Try cabbage. Go buy a head of it from the store and tear off a piece and put it on the spot that hurts. I promise you it will get rid of the problem. This worked for me and a few of my friends. It will save your life. It will take the pain away. I even slept with it on, using them as pads so I wouldn't leak everywhere. It's odd I know but my lactation nurse told me about this and it saved my life. Good luck, I love seeing your family getting so big!

Jill said...

Ouch Amy. I am SO sorry! I am hoping that one of these solutions help... That pic of Frankie is adorable!

Jennifer P.S. said...

Amy,

I had this with Davy and it was like being stabbed in the chest. I remember jerking back like I'd been hit every time the pain came. I also remember being at Fish Lake with everyone and finally throwing in the towel and switching him to bottles then and there, in those little motel rooms where we always stay. I swear he liked it better! It's awful when it gets far down in the ducts and only constant diflucan can keep it in check--and that has other drawbacks. Good for you for going on so long! But, you know, feeding a baby a bottle is different, but it is still wonderful and enjoyable and sweet! You won't lose those moments if you stop nursing, they'll just be a little different.

Kate said...

Hang in there Amy! You are the greatest mom, and you have already given Frankie 6 months of great nutrition...I had problems with Ike and went through some of those same feelings...someone gave me some good advice that I shouldn't let these feeding problems get in the way of being a mom...I was spending so much time trying to keep nursing I was not really even focusing on him, I was just getting "through" it. You have done a great job... (even now I laugh at the gentian violet..I took it to Fish Lake once and was going to use it to paint peoples faces when they were napping) Focus on the good of this change and you won't even give it a second glance when you are looking back!!

Unknown said...

Amy, I really enjoy your blog! Thought just occured to me...have you tried a chiropractor? He/She may be able to help...just a thought and if you're like me, I'm willing to try anything. Both of my girls have been (although he doesn't snap crackle pop them,that's where I draw the line) Rylan for reflux and Garrity for ear infections (we were just before having tubes!)...worked and haven't had problems since! May be worth a call...

Alissa and Brandon Owen Family said...

I had that exact same thing! Seriously, you described me to a T. Then, I went to a lactation pediatrician, Dr. Jennifer Cox and she prescribed me a medication called Dr. Newmann's medical ointment for breastfeeding. It cleared everything up. It's a combination cream that treats and kills impetigo/infection/yeast and somehow the formula works to stop the sharp shooting pains dead in their tracks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails