Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Nursing Woes Concluded :(

First off, THANK YOU, all of the kind words and advice you gave me from this post was amazing.
What a great support group you all are. 

Sadly, despite my many many efforts, 
I have stopped breastfeeding.  
I really tried ev.er.y.thing.  You name it, I tried it.  That darn yeast would not go away!
After visiting with a Breastfeeding specialist physician (thanks for the recommendation Alissa),  one of the last things she could have me try was Gentian Violet.
Ugh.  I didn't not want to try that. 
Do you see why?  It stains everything so terribly.  Gentian Violet had been sitting on my shelf for weeks, I kept putting it off.  But I had to try it.  I could not quit knowing I had not done all I could.  

For the first couple of days I felt better but on day four, the intense burning persisted and I knew my time of breast feeding had to come to an end.  I even tried quiting for a few days and then go back.  
But still, burning.

I could not get over how hard emotionally it was for me to quit.  I was in a state of depression for the first 3 days of weaning.  Feeling the engorgement of milk in my breast and not being able to nurse my child was torture. 
 I cried and cried and cried.  
I kept telling myself that there are worst things in life.  
But to no avail my rationalization didn't help.
I still cried and cried and cried.

I was giving up a good fight of a 4 1/2 month battle.
Some good tears needed to be shed. 


 Bottle feeding is going great!  
Frankie loves it and is happy and healthy.
Thats all that really matters.


I still feel attached to him and this is the longest I've let my one of my babies sleep in my room in a bassinet.  
I'm not ready to move him out yet.  He's just so sweet, good natured and has GREAT sleep habits.
I'm in no rush.


Frankie is so lovable.  He is such a cuddly thing and I am madly in love with him.  He snuggles up to just about anyone who holds him.  A calm little baby.
*Just as I was writing this post last night, Frankie awoke in his bassinet with labored breathing and a barking cough struggling to breathe.  Croup.  I hate croup.  It is so scary.  I've never had a baby so little with croup.  
I swaddled him up in a hat and thick blankets and sat on my front porch until the cool air cleared his airway and he calmed down.  He was still wheezing quite a bit so we decided he needed to be seen.  
1:00 a.m  means Primary Children's Hospital.  A nice 7-10 minute drive. 
I put Frankie in his car seat and he freaked out and could not breath in there.  He was gasping for air.  On my front side walk covered with snow, I grabbed him out of there and held him close til he calmed as the snow fell upon us.  Breathe....breathe.  
Kevin had to drive us there while I held little Frankie so he could breathe.
Thankfully the hospital was slow and we were seen right away.  Frankie was treated with saline to open his airways and then a steroid which helped him to breathe much better.
He fell asleep on my chest and stayed there through observation and our ride home.
My head hit the pillow at 4:00 a.m.
This is going to be a long day.

Two weeks of bottle feeding and my little one receives his first illness.  Croup of all things. 
This is why I hoped to nurse longer.  Maybe he could have skipped this one.  

He seems to be better today.  Calm again and breathing well.
Wanting to be held, I have no complaints there. 
I'm so grateful to live close to medical facilities and for medicine,
so this mama can feel at ease.   


12 comments:

Aunt Spicy said...

Ohhh, poor thing! Hope he is better soon!

(btw, sweetest post ever!)

Anneliese said...

You definitely fought the good fight! So sorry to hear about the croup! Audrey has been to Primary's with it--so scary. I don't know why some are more prone to it than others. Glad to hear he's doing better.

Caitlin said...

gosh, you have been through so much! I'm sorry! Good thing you are one strong woman. Hang in there, let me know if I can help you out.

Melissa said...

I tried nursing all three of my children and it just never worked out. I had a few of my "friends" tell me what a terrible mother I was for not being able to do it. DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT! You have obviously done the best that you could for as longs as you could. I don't know you but from reading your blog, you seem like an amazing mother. Your children are beautiful and please remember that you are doing the best you can and that's all you can ever aske for.

sue chappell said...

These are darling pictures of Frankie! That is one very loved little boy!! I adore him!

Nana

Park Family said...

I hope Frankie is feeling better sick babies are never fun and even though I've had 4 it still scares me.

That picture of Frankie with the purple mouth made me laugh and think of that girl on willy wonka's chocolate factory who turned into a blueberry, wasn't her name violet. Truly a kodak moment.

Happy new year.

Anonymous said...

Nursing never went in my favor! I felt like a failure 4 times over! Don't beat yourself up for bottle feeding! Just because you feed a baby formula doesn't mean you love them any less than you would if you breastfeed because a mother's love comes from the heart and not the breast!!!
I am so glad that he's feeling better and I hope you are too! Scary! He's adorable!

Nate Insun Olivia & Sophie said...

Glad Frankie is doing better... Croup sucks. Olivia and Sophie both get croupie coughs, so maybe it runs in the family. Hang in there! Frankie looks so cute!

Jill said...

Am so glad little Frankie is doing better!! What a sweet post...

Becca said...

Amy, He is to DIE FOR. He is so heavenly, I can hardly stand it. Seems like just yesterday, you and I were toting Christopher around on our hips. I still love that kid more than anyone will ever know. SO SPECIAL.

What neighbors house is that you went to see the Christmas villages? Looks awesome.

Your blog is great and so inspiring. You are so crafty as always, so I check it often. Jill looks so cute in all the Christmas photos, I miss your fam. I would still love to try to hook all of us up sometime from the neighborhood?

LoveLife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LoveLife said...

"Two weeks of bottle feeding and my little one receives his first illness. Croup of all things.
This is why I hoped to nurse longer. Maybe he could have skipped this one. "

Darling...do not be so hard on yourself. It's just a coincidence, and you are a wonderful Mommy (I only just came across your blog and it's very evident). It would break my heart too, if I couldn't nurse my baby. But, despite continued nursing, he is 11 months old and has had croup, multiple colds, meningitis (YIKES), and has excema, food sensitivities and reflux. He's not even a year old and he sounds like a hypochondriac!!!

Your little one is adorable, he's content, and I'm sure you know the tricks for managing croup.

Related Posts with Thumbnails