Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Fish Lake and a stroll down memory lane.


We just returned from our annual trip to Fish Lake!  Originally we hadn't planned to go this year because we went to California.  But thankfully I'm married to a great guy who values this family tradition of mine!  He told me that he and Cole were going no matter what!  So being the baby of the family, and my HATE of being left out, I jumped on board and was so thrilled to go! 

Fish Lake is a beautiful place located in central Utah!  The water is cold but it looks like glass most of the time.  The campgrounds are nestled in between all the Aspen trees.  They are everywhere!  And you know those Aspens(if you have any in your yard) they grow and grow everywhere!  In the mountains it is beautiful!  In your yard, not so much, especially when they begin to sprout all over.  

If you've been to Fish Lake you probably wonder why I rave so much about it!  To most it is just a place to go camping and fishing  along with other things.  But to me, there are so many memories there.  The nostalgia is so thick when I go there.  And mostly more since my grandparents have passed.  I am the FIFTH generation to go to fish lake in my family.  My children will be the sixth.  And knowing how my grandmother was paralyzed in a wheel chair most her life and STILL kept the tradition strong of going to this great place with my grandfather, children, and grandchildren amazes me.  I feel lucky to extend it forward to my children.  My grandfather played a huge part to these memories.  When we would go fishing, he would use his fishing board(a wooden board with fishing line wrapped around it. no reel).  We would all have fishing poles and there was grandpa, trolling with his fishing board.  And even tough he had "the shakes"  he would whittle whistles out of willow trees for us grandchildren.  We would play those things til they were so wet they wouldn't work anymore.  I always wanted to save mine for keeps.  But unfortunately, as a child,  I didn't know how much I would have valued one my grandfathers whistles as an adult.  


This time in our short 3 day visit, we were able to take a sunday drive through Loa, Lyman,(where my grandparents grew up) Torrey and other towns along the way to Capital Reef.   These towns are so cute.  So little.  If you blink, you could miss them.  They seems so quiet.  So still.  As if they haven't changed since I was little.  Almost like I'm in a picture of my memory.  And as we were driving through these little towns, and memories flooded my mind, I could hear the story my grandfather once told me on how he met my grandmother.  "I was driving down the street and there she was,  just walking down the street with her friend.  blowing her bubble gum.  out big like this, then pop!,  and I thought that was cute,  I thought, I'd like to see that again!  So I turned my car back around."  I almost could picture this happening as we were driving through town.   

And so I am grateful for my great greats who started this wonderful tradition in 1890.  And the memories that that part of Utah has for me.  It feels so much apart of me and who I am.  And I am so grateful to be married to someone who will willingly help me continue this great tradition  on to our children.  How neat would that be to be at the start of a tradition that carries that long?  I'm sure it happens all the time.  Everywhere.  And I don't stop to think of my wonderful ancestors.  


Here are some picture taken with my wonderful new camera!  I am LOVING it!  Thanks Kevin!

MaryJane is now sitting up all by herself.



Cole was helping his sister from falling off the log.  I found that shirt Sadie is wearing at Burns Saddlery in Salina.  It says "all in a hard days of work".  Perfect with that skirt.

And this picture,  paid for the price for that camera and more!

1 comment:

Jill said...

What a beautiful post, Amy! I love it! And these pictures are adorable. I know you have more...! Your camera is doing a great job it seems so maybe I'll have to get one, too...

Related Posts with Thumbnails